Social Icons

twitter facebook google plus linkedinrss feed email

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Trolls!

I haven't really had any proper trolls on my Weekend Notes writing yet, just a random person who takes great exception to me publicising any fireworks events. Apparently it is the height of social irresponsibility to publicise completely legal events, and the best way to get these events banned is to publish random rants on community websites which aren't even actually organising the events. I get annoyed just thinking about their stupidity. I need a coping mechanism. Luckily for me, my husband is quite experienced in the mysterious and arcane ways of the internet.

Our conversation started after I was quite affronted the first time they commented, and leapt in to defend myself. I probably shouldn't have bothered. They didn't want to hear my views, or suggestions, they were just in "transmit" mode. Luckily, Andrew has moderated a lot of forum sites, so he was able to give some advice:

Lindsay: I've had an angry comment on one of my articles, and I'm not sure if I replied well.
Andrew: Hahahahahaha! You replied? First rule of trolls? Don't Feed The Trolls.

That's a remarkably cathartic phrase to repeat to oneself when assaulted by Someone on the Internet Who Thinks You are Wrong. Which this person most definitely thinks I am. I am tempted to reply, because I have many witty and biting things to say, and then I just think to myself:

"Waste of your valuable time; don't feed the trolls"....and relax.

5 comments:

  1. Indeed. Don't feed the trolls. They only get bigger when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's much more fun when you play with the trolls. Trolls and religious door knockers, both are good for screwing with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorely tempted...can I send you the link and you can screw with them!

      Delete
  3. I'm with Andrew on this one. It's like supernanny, pop them on the naughty step indefinitely. It is hard but sometimes you have to just satisfy yourself knowing that you are right.

    ReplyDelete